Blog Archive

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Len's Honorable Mentions list 2020: Almost Made the Cut

There were so many terrific movies released in 2020, that Len's Best Films List was expanded to thirteen pictures, rather than the usual ten! There were plenty more vying for inclusion as a "best" picture, as well. As I've noted, some of these could easily have made the top list on a different day (or in the opinion of a different reviewer). The best picture lists of awards programs like the Oscars or SAG or BAFTA only confirm this. 

So I've made a list of also-rans, which I'm calling Honorable Mentions. All of these films are worthy. A film might be an Honorable Mention for any number of reasons: for example, I may have loved the acting, but thought the story to be trite or uninspired, or vice versa. Or, while it was very good, it simply got beaten out by a film or films in the "best" list. Still, all of the HMs are recommended,  even though not in my top group.

As I'm worn out from preparing my just-published Best Films post, this list will not have my pithy commentary or analysis (unless I can link to my earlier review of a particular movie).  To find out more about any of them, you can look them up on IMDB.com or Rotten Tomatoes.  But I do provide availability information as far as is known to me at the time this is written.  The list is not ranked; the movie titles are presented alphabetically.

Len's Honorable Mentions List 2020:

Another Round     - Denmark   Free on Hulu; Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services  

Bacurau            - Brazil    Free with Criterion Channel and Kanopy; Rentable on Amazon and most             streaming services 

The Dissident    - USA    Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services  

Judas and the Black Messiah    - USA    Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services  

The Mole Agent         - Chile    Free on Hulu and Hoopla; Rentable on Amazon and most streaming     services  

My Donkey, My Lover and I    - France    Not currently available streaming

My Little Sister    - Germany        Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services  

News of the World    - USA        Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services  

Saint Frances        - USA    Free with Starz and Kanopy; Rentable on Amazon and most streaming     services  

The Sound of Metal    - USA    Amazon Prime Video exclusively (free)

The Traitor       - Italy    Free with Starz and DirectTV; Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services

Undine        - Germany        Not currently available streaming

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit    - Germany    Not currently available streaming

Zappa         - USA       Free on Hulu; Rentable on Amazon and most streaming services



No comments:

Post a Comment